Computers were clunky, office chairs were creaky and desks were anything but hot. But it's more than the operator's chair and the office furniture that has changed - it's a whole way of working that has evolved from those more innocent times.
1. Lunch - now lunch is something to be grabbed at your desk with your mobile buzzing. Then it was three courses on expenses.
2. Taking a sick day - then you were off work because you were genuinely ill, now if you're off sick you're also working - from home.
3. Reading reports - back in the 80s and 90s, people actually read reports, on paper. Now, we read everything that's relevant - or NSFW - on the internet.
4. Faxing - once, we faxed the weekly update. Now we have real-time updates that track our every move.
5. Tippex - the delete button.
6. The business card - checking their LinkedIn profile before you meet.
7. Using the photocopier - why bother when you can copy everyone into an email?
8. Leaving work at 5.30pm - emailing at 5.30am.
9. The promotional pen - handing out power banks and video cards.
10. Your own desk - once we had desks with pot plants and photos; now we hot desk or head for Starbucks.
11. Chatting with the receptionist - remember human interaction? Now we check our WiFi connection when we walk through the door.
12. Your Filofax - once contact numbers were kept in a hard copy address book, now it's Outlook automatic contact save.
13. Envying the boss's office chair - now you're sitting next to the boss in a raw design open plan office.
14. A swift pint in the pub at lunchtime - half an hour with the kettlebells in the gym.
15. Celebrating - back in the 80s and 90s, it was champagne and cakes for every new success, now it's an email letting you know your new workload.
16. Transport - back then you had a company car, now you have a Brompton and some very sweaty lycra.
17. Carefully guarding your stationery stash - if you've never had your stapler pinched, you wouldn't understand. Nowadays if it can't be done online, we don't want to know.
18. Having a smoke at your desk - Having a jog at your sit stand desk.
19. In tray - inbox.
20. Uncomfortable office chairs - If your office furniture needs an upgrade from the 80s and 90s, visit and we'll be happy to bring your office into the 21st century!